Source of deposit
TMW reserve the right to request evidence of deposit on all applications (for first time landlord and private sale applications, evidence of deposit will be required).
The following proofs are required to evidence deposit:
- One month's current bank or building society statement (dated within last three months) or passbook held in the applicant's name.
- A statement of the current value of ISA held in the applicant's name.
If the deposit funds have been in the account for less than one month, further evidence may be requested.
- Non-UK EEA (European Economic Area) country source - three months' current bank/building society bank statement/passbook
- Non-EEA country source - six months' current bank/building society bank statement/passbook
Where funds have been in the account for less than three or six months respectively, we require proof of their origination and evidence of funds transferred to applicant's UK bank account. The source of any lump sum credit may be queried or proof of the build up of funds requested.
If a property is already sold or remortgaged (including Further Advances) or is to be sold, the following is required:
- Address of the property being sold or remortgaged
- Confirmation from solicitor that the deposit is being sourced from that property
- How funds are being released.
If the property is held jointly with someone not party to the application, a gift letter (TMW template) is also required, except in the case of divorce/separation where a letter detailing the source and amount of funds is needed from the solicitor dealing with the separation.
Nationwide remortgages and further advances cannot be accepted as source of deposit towards The Mortgage Works BTL products
- Confirmation from solicitor of the amount that is inherited and when this is/was released.
- UK bank or building society statement evidencing transfer of funds.
- For each gift over £10,000, a signed Confirmation of Gifted Deposit form from the donor (must be dated within the last three months) is required.
- For each gift over £50,000, one month’s bank statements from the donor showing available funds is required in addition to the Confirmation of Gifted Deposit form.
- Gifts will be classed as monies deposited into the customer’s account within the last 12 months. Funds which have been in the client’s account for more than 12 months will be treated as savings.
- Donors must be at least one of the following: a spouse/partner living in the same residence, owner occupier/experienced landlord or have savings above the deposit amount required.
- Maximum of two gifts per application.
- Two gifts may involve more than two donors where the gift comes from a joint source, e.g. One gift from mother and father and one gift from grandfather and grandmother.
- Gifted deposits aren't accepted if the donor resides outside of the UK and/or the funds originate from outside the UK.
UK / Overseas stocks / shares
- Most recent Share statement or Share Portfolio statement.
Business / Company
We'll request a letter from the Limited Company’s Accountant confirming how the funds are being released and that the Limited Company and all shareholders will have no interest in the security property.
Please ensure you provide an email address for the Accountant so we can contact them.
Builder incentives / cashback
Builder incentives/cashback are accepted subject to the following criteria:
- Any amount greater than 5% will be deducted to determine the net purchase price. The Mortgage Works will lend against the lower of the net purchase price or value.
Where deposit funds have been paid directly to the developer or builder, the following proofs are required:
- A letter from the solicitor acting for the applicant stating the amount paid and when, and
- The applicant’s latest bank statement showing the funds being transferred
- A letter from the developer is not acceptable
- If pension funds have been released, bank statement/passbook (dated within the last three months) should be provided
- If pension funds have not been released, latest pension statement (no more than twelve months old) showing sufficient funds to cover the deposit amount required should be provided.
Repayment of loans
Deposits provided from the repayment of loans are acceptable from a third party if repaid over three months ago and will be treated as savings.
The maximum number of gifts or loan repayments, either separately or in aggregate, will be two per application.