Valuation policy and fees
Please note: On 1 September 2021, the Homebuyers Report was replaced with the Home Survey Level 2 Report.
|Purchase Price or Valuation
(whichever is higher)
|Standard Valuation fee||Standard Valuation fee including Home Survey
Level 2 Report (includes VAT where due)*
|Up to £100,000||£205||£290|
|£100,001 - £150,000||£240||£385|
|£150,001 - £200,000||£280||£470|
|£200,001 - £300,000||£340||£570|
|£300,001 - £400,000||£405||£670|
|£400,001 - £500,000||£465||£780|
|£500,001 - £600,000||£515||£795|
|£600,001 - £700,000||£575||£855|
|£700,001 - £800,000||£630||£950|
|£800,001 - £900,000||£670||£1,005|
|£900,001 - £1,000,000||£725||£1,090|
|£1,000,001 - £1,250,000||£950||By Arrangement|
|£1,250,001 - £1,500,000||£1,050||By Arrangement|
|£1,500,001 - £1,750,000||£1,160||By Arrangement|
|£1,750,001 - £2,000,000||£1,275||By Arrangement|
|Over £2,000,000||By Arrangement||By Arrangement|
*This is not available for remortgage or HMO applications.
Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Specialist Security Valuation
|Purchase Price or Valuation
(whichever is higher)
|Standard Valuation fee|
|Up to £200,000||£435|
|£200,001 - £300,000||£670|
|£300,001 - £400,000||£790|
|£400,001 - £500,000||£850|
|£500,001 - £600,000||£1,025|
|£600,001 - £700,000||£1,125|
|£700,001 - £800,000||£1,250|
|£800,001 - £900,000||£1,350|
|£900,001 - £1,000,000||£1,495|
|Over 1 million||By arrangement|
Further advance applications for HMO require payment of the full specialist security valuation fee.
Where a physical valuation is required, safety is our number one priority. Valuers will need to carry out a detailed safety assessment with the customer before the valuation is conducted. Where a customer isn’t comfortable letting a valuer into their property we’ll place the application on hold and you’ll need to tell us when they’re ready to proceed.
Valuers may also carry out an ‘external only’ assessment. A safety assessment will still be completed and the valuer will explain the process to the customer. Where more information is needed and photos of the property may help, the valuer will request them from the applicant/vendor. If this is necessary, full support will be provided by telephone/email.
Valuation reports are valid for a period of 3 months. Please be aware that a mortgage offer must be issued prior to the valuation report expiring.
Re-inspection fee is £100. The Mortgage Works reserves the right to conduct an additional inspection of the property. For example, to ensure the completion of a New Build property originally valued off plans.
If you're unsure whether the property would be suitable security for us, you can complete this Pre-valuation enquiry form.
Transcribed valuationsAs of 26th January 2016, The Mortgage Works no longer accepts transcriptions for valuation purposes on Scottish Buy to Let Applications. We will instruct our own Mortgage Valuation Report on all cases as a valuation fee will be payable by the customer.
Energy Efficiency Regulations
Energy Efficiency Regulations have introduced new minimum standards of energy efficiency for private rented properties.
In England and Wales, landlords must ensure their properties have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of ‘E’ or higher - this applies to properties where there are existing tenants, as well as properties where a new tenancy is being created.
The rules for properties in Scotland are different - for more information, read our approach to the Energy Efficiency Regulations.
Check your client’s property has a valid EPC by using the links below, dependent on your region:
- For England and Wales - Find an energy certificate
- For Scotland - Scottish Energy Performance Certificate Register
We require a valid EPC or exemption to be in place at application. The policy on EPC’s varies by the LTV of an application:
For applications at 75% LTV or below: properties must have an EPC rating of E or above, in line with current legislation.
For applications over 75% LTV: to balance the need to support a key segment of the Buy to Let market, whilst recognising future ambitions across the Private Rental Sector to achieve more energy efficient homes, properties must have an EPC, rated C or above at application.
- The valuer will be instructed by The Mortgage Works to determine the suitability of the security.
- In the case of BTL applications, we will apply the lower of passing rent or estimated rental value as given by the valuer.
- For all standard BTL applications, the estimated rental value will be based on the market rent for single family occupancy. (See Houses in Multiple Occupation for cases submitted as an HMO).
- If the valuation has been carried out and the property has been found to be of unsuitable security or the application does not proceed, the valuation fee will not be refunded.
If you wish to appeal the valuation figure, it’s important that it fits our criteria. We'll need the following information to consider your appeal and will reject appeals which do not provide the following:
- Details of at least two comparable properties. They must be of similar type, style, size and location to the subject property and be sold/rented within the last six months.
- A summary/additional comparables explaining why you're appealing the valuation based on the information and comparable evidence provided.
- For New Build properties, three comparable sales are required, one from the same site, one from a similar local New Build site and a second-hand property in the local area.
- Appeals received with missing information, or which don’t meet the necessary requirements will be rejected.
- Valuations can only be appealed within 10 working days of you or your client being made aware of the valuation outcome.
- We’ll respond to the appeal within 7 working days. The response will be the final outcome and the valuation can’t be appealed again.
It’s important that you review the above criteria first before contacting us. Once you have all the relevant information to hand you can contact broker support who will send you the Valuations Appeal form, which should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.